I was working from home the other day and when it came time to make lunch I realized that I wanted to try to make something different. Over the weekend Jim, my dad, and I had gone to Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia and stopped at Hatville Deli to pick up cheeses, and one of the cheeses that we brought home was a blue cheese. So, logically, I decided to make Buffalo Bites- because I don’t know what else to pair blue cheese with besides buffalo flavored everything.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
To make the chicken:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (or in my case, two pieces of toast rubbed together to create breadcrumbs because we ran out of breadcrumbs)
- dash of cooking oil
1. pour all dry ingredients into a gallon-sized sandwich bag.
2. Cut chicken into 2-3 inch sized pieces. Toss pieces into sandwich bag and shake to coat chicken evenly.
3. Set a frying pan on a medium-low heat with a dash of your cooking oil of choice. Place your chicken into the oil once it’s heated up a bit (after a minute or so). Turn chicken occasionally to cook evenly.
4. Remove chicken from pan, empty oil, return chicken to oil-less pan.
To make the buffalo sauce:
- 1.5-2 teaspoons flour (depends on personal preference)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Franks hot sauce (or more/less)
1. Melt the butter on low heat and combine with Frank’s hot sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour. You can add more/less flour and hot sauce depending on preference. The 2 teaspoon of flour to 3 tablespoons of butter is a thicker ratio, but has a richer flavor. However, if you prefer more of a sauce, then use less flour.
2. Pour buffalo sauce over fried chicken and stir to coat evenly.
These Buffalo Bites can be served a ton of different ways- on their own with a side of blue cheese or ranch sauce, on sandwiches, over a salad, or my personal favorite; as sliders.
I used some homemade bread (those adventures are detailed in this post) and made thin slices that I toasted slightly. I then added lettuce, raw onion, and blue cheese crumbles on top of the bread. Onto this I placed 1-2 bites of chicken, and melted a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese on top.
Tell me your own buffalo chicken recipes in the comments!